6/29/09

cat art - playing with the classic paintings...

In a perfectly weightless world, the adventures of the cat begin! This is an exploration of the classic paintings I love. It’s a way of immersing myself via the cat into the adventures of these masterpieces. How else can you sail the great wave in Hokusai’s painting, pose in Botero's still life, or appear between Mondrian's lines? It’s about entering into a dialogue with these classic paintings and making them accessible to viewers from another perspective. It is akin to Warhol creating art out of an ordinary soup can. By introducing the cat, a door is opened and the audience is invited to participate in the painting.

In a big and grandiose world of Botero, my fat catmasutra cat fits right in. (Fact is that my cat has taken very much to sleeping on the table, and she loves to prop herself against whatever she can find). A perfect model for a still life portrait, if I do say so myself ;)


"Catch me if you can" is a throw-back to the Hokusai's sea paintings. There's somethimg momentous of his paintings, as if caught in a frame of time.
This painting is largely about the value of freedom and the ability to let go. We are always chasing the wrong things. Instead of chasing, maybe we should just enjoy the ride, and let nature take care of things for a change.

Catch me if you can


This one is, of course, a play on Mondrain's art, which is in essence, an exploration via intuition into pure abstraction, "I construct lines and color combinations on a flat surface, in order to express general beauty with the utmost awareness. Nature (or, that which I see) inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation (still just an external foundation!) of things…


I believe it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true."

And from pure abstraction, as a reversal, reveals its beauty. "Incidents within the lines" is about our imagination, the beauty we find in-between if we open our eyes. It's about imaginary friends and day-dreaming... its about finding a language for which no words are required...

;)

No comments: