11/11/07

Catmasutra - Magic Beans

"You just have to ask yourself what kind of person are you. Are you the type that sees signs? Sees miracles? Or do you think that people just get lucky? Maybe there are no coincidences.

"One time, I was at this party... and I was sitting on the couch with Randa McKinning. She was just sitting there, looking beautiful, and staring at me. So, I lean into kiss her, and I realize I have gum in my mouth. So, I turn to spit it out and put it in a little paper cup that was sitting by the couch. I turn back, and Randa McKinning throws up all over herself. I knew the moment it happened, it was a miracle. I could have been kissing her when she threw up. It would have scarred me for life. I may have never recovered. I'm a miracle man." - from the movie, Signs

Is imagination stronger than knowledge? Is myth more potent than history? Are dreams more powerful than facts? It's strange because everything appears from one thought. A blank canvas, put in a chair, a table, a cat on the table, a typewriter with anonymous keys (keys that will unlock your dreams if you are able to type them out), and a bottle of whiskey - make that the whiskey that Jack stole, and of course, the magic beans. Sit back and watch them grow. Day by day, the colors appear, filling up between the lines, taking over the empty spaces, and then, it's done. A new Catmasutra painting is born! wahahahaha

At the end of the fairy tale, it is about you and only you. You are your own book and you can fill it with whatever you like - good or bad - it makes no difference to anyone else but you. Never in thought acknowledge an impossibility. When you do, your world shrinks that much smaller! Throw the beans out or plant them. Watch them grow or let them wither. It's always about choice.

Myths, stories and imagination, with all its beauty and possibility, contains truth about the world that neither science nor philosophy can access. “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there. ” - Italo Calvino. “As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves.” - Mahatma Gandhi.

;)

Catmasutra 4, the exhibition!


UTTERLY ART - 13th - 23rd DECEMBER 2007
CATMASUTRA IV PAINTING EXHIBITION

229A South Bridge Road Singapore 058778 2nd Level
Opening hours: 11am to 8pm, Monday to Sunday

;)

No comments: