3/4/08

Cleaning my glasses once in a blue moon...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do children of humans as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~ Helen Keller

All our life, we're taught to chase after or buy security one way or another. That's the way to freedom - everything in our society tells us that is the reality. We don't have to think about it. It's like we're in auto-pilot mode or something, almost second nature. It's like wearing a dirty pair of glasses for so long that you begin to believe in that reality (I never clean my glasses and I only use them at night...Wahahahaha). So it happened (as it would once in a blue moon), I wiped my glasses with my T-shirt and put them on and for that moment, I realized how clear and crisp the night is! So think about your second nature for an instance - perhaps our second nature is not really us at all.. Our second nature is our karma, the stories that we keep repeating to ourselves that we believe them to be true. And we will keep doing the same things, and as a result keep getting the same things.

“We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.” *

And so here we are again, finding a thousand aversions and resistance to the way things are. We always think about the future, how nice it would be if we could do this or that, or what if we couldn't do this or that. Our fears and cravings mingle and feed us, drive us to do battle with ourselves continuously. And there are just so many layers of ourselves that our first task must be to stop running, and find out who we really are. We are good and bad. The line is so thin that we can be an angel in one circumstance and a devil in the next. So Stop. Rest. Take a break. Have a kit-kat! Where should we hurry to before our death?


“Living never wore one out so much as the effort not to live.”*


“Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”*
*Quotes by Anais Nin


Excerpt from my short story, "foolish things"

Anguish rises and squeezes my heart in His palm. Silently, from amongst the images, a cat jumps out and sits on the table beside me. It gazes at me with its sapphire eyes. I stroke its shimmering fur. Then the cat begins to speak inside my head. It says, as if in response to my anguish:

"Space is a matter of perception."
"I do not have enough freedom"
"Freedom is a fool's concept"
"I do not have enough time."
"Because you make time your enemy"
"I need money to buy freedom."
"Freedom has no price. You are buying the wrong thing."
The cat, having said her piece, jumps away to pursue her dreams of sleep on my dirty laundry.

“The secret of Happiness is Freedom,
and the secret of Freedom, Courage.”
~ Thucydides

;)

No comments: